CelticBlooded.net

A Celtic Forum Where you can enjoy Debate's Discussion's, Watch Live Celtic Matches, Download the full game, torrents and much more...

HomeFAQLive ScoresHighlightsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Homemade 1986 Tour of Celtic Park

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Makaveli
AdministratorAdministrator

Comments : Up the RA!!!!!!
Number of posts : 2977
Fav Celtic Player : Artur Boruc
Fav Celtic Song : You'll Never Walk Alone
My Mood :
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Homemade 1986 Tour of Celtic Park   Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:23 pm

Written by The Human Torpedo
Sunday, 23 November 2008

Now this is something unique. A homemade video of a tour of Celtic Park from back in the day. In 1986 things were different and as this video shows the club and the players were all within touching distance of the ordinary fan. Enough from me I'll let the man known as "the human torpedo" tell his own story:

The tour in the video took place on Friday October 31st 1986. Football was a world away from the commercially driven game it is today and there were no organised tour packages back then. I remember my Dad had actually written to the club to request a tour of the park and he had a reply back within the week saying 'no problem'.

I was 12 at the time and living in England only made it up for about three or four games a season. On this occasion we were coming up for the Rangers game the following day (which would end 1-1).

When we (my Dad, my uncle, myself and a couple of pals from school) arrived at Celtic Park we went to the main door and were met by Stevie Chalmers. Stevie showed us round and told us about all the trophies and other memorabillia. He was a total gent and at the time I didn't really appreciate I was in the company of a legend. In fact I'm ashamed to say I was probably more excited at meeting Tony Shepherd and Paul McGugan!

My Dad had borrowed the video camera from a guy at his work and after we had finished the tour Stevie Chalmers suggested we take a walk down to Barrowfield as we'd get good footage of the team training. Watching the tape now its intresting to see how many of those players still have a high profile in the game today. After their training I got the whole team to sign my copy of 'Playing For Celtic No 18'. I'm sure it would be worth a bit on e-bay today if only my surly teenage self hadn't later tip-exed out the names of every player who dared to moved on from Parkhead!

All in all it was a wonderful day. It was a dream come true for me. Some great memories and all for the price of a stamp. I'm not sure football offers such value for money today.

Back to top Go down
http://www.CelticBlooded.com

Homemade 1986 Tour of Celtic Park
Page 1 of 1